Thursday 26 March 2009

The trials of year-end payroll

End of March = time to run year end payroll before the world and his wife and their dog start filing theirs online and the HMRC system crashes in a shower of sparks.

I had a brief wrestling match with the HMRC CD before deciding it was far too difficult to find my way around. It doesn't even appear to let you print a payslip. Boo hiss.

So, acting on recommendations from users over at AccountingWeb, I downloaded Moneysoft Payroll Manager.

Brilliant. Very reasonably priced (including a month's free trial), quick, easy, no messing about, and each employee's pay is laid out on a spreadsheet-like grid so that you can see how much (s)he has earnt each month. You can even recalculate pay on this spreadsheet.

End of year forms were generated and filed online with HMRC, through Moneysoft, before I could say "Jack Robinson".

I'll be buying that when my month's trial is up.

1 comment:

  1. Too true. We changed to moneysoft two years ago and have never looked back.
    It's intuitive, very stable and we couldnt believe the price!
    I can't understand why any professional would WANT to use HMRC's online PAYE filing service when you can use moneysoft!

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here. This blog is fully moderated. Any spam or malicious comments will not be published.