Wednesday 27 January 2010

Of grey suede boots, pigeons, and a very helpful hardware shop

Walking across Edinburgh to the office this morning, I noticed a pigeon had relieved itself on my boot.

That's a new-last-month pale grey suede boot which I'm rather proud of.

Cursing all pigeons, I headed for Home Hardware on Morningside Road, which is the sort of little hardware and household shop that sells everything you can think of and more besides.

This shop not only proved to stock suede brushes, but the gentleman behind the counter proceeded to kneel down and brush the pigeon dropping off my boot, leaving it pristine.

And he was surprised when I said I still wanted to buy the brush.

I figured it was the least I could do after receiving such excellent and thoughtful service.

And I'll also be forearmed if any more pigeons decide to aim for my boots.

1 comment:

  1. I love hardware shops like that although I have to be careful not to think of the Two Ronnies Four Candles/Fork Handles sketch otherwise I laugh out loud.

    P.S. Can you tell I've only to tax returns to complete?

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here. This blog is fully moderated. Any spam or malicious comments will not be published.