Monday 26 January 2009

A very non-comprehensive trial!

I decided to have a look at Excel 2007.

There's a free 60-day trial available on the Microsoft Office website. Great I thought.

Problem 1) You can't try just Excel 2007 or Word 2007 or PowerPoint 2007. It's all or nothing. OK, I downloaded the Small Business Edition free trial.

Problem 2) The trial version of Excel 2007 has so many of its features disabled that it's practically useless. I couldn't even save a file, or create a new file. And as for trying out a pivot table, forget it!

What a pile of old rubbish! How do Microsoft expect me to try a program out when they'll hardly let me use any of its features?

What experience have other people had of this?

M

UPDATE: Tom Gleeson posted on Twitter that the trial version should be fully functional. So I opened it again... and lo and behold all the features were there.

So a half apology to Microsoft, because I'm still not impressed that I had to open the program twice before I was able to use all the functionality.

But at least I've now got something to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here. This blog is fully moderated. Any spam or malicious comments will not be published.